NewFest, New York’s leading LGBTQ film and media organization, is seeking a full-time Development Manager to help drive the organization’s financial growth and expand its profile.
Founded in 1988, NewFest is New York’s largest presenter of LGBTQ+ film & media and the
largest convener of LGBTQ+ audiences in New York City. NewFest’s mission is to give voice
and visibility to the full scope of the LGBTQ+ experience through year-round film screenings and events, including the annual New York LGBTQ+ Film Festival. NewFest creates spaces and conversations that have the capacity to open minds, shift cultural bias, and create positive change. NewFest is dedicated to bringing together filmmakers and audiences to strengthen a community that encompasses the wide range of representations of the LGBTQ+ experience.
The Development Manager reports to the Executive Director, and manages corporate sponsorship, individual giving, institutional giving, and Board relations, with responsibilities applicable to year-round programs and expanding in scale in support of the annual New York LGBTQ+ Film Festival each October.
– Maintain a thorough understanding of NewFest programming to identify synergies between sponsor or grant priorities and NewFest’s mission
– Work with the Executive Director and Director of Programming to brainstorm and define new programs and initiatives that serve NewFest’s community while contributing to the organization’s longevity and financial sustainability
– Manage design of all fundraising collateral
– Research and identify new institutional, government, and corporate funding opportunities
– Attend bi-monthly Board meetings and select Board committee meetings
– Work collaboratively with the Executive Director to pursue new sponsors for the annual Festival and year-round programs, including youth initiatives, Black Filmmakers Initiative, and sponsored screenings
– Conduct in-depth research on potential sponsors, develop sponsor outreach strategy, design sponsorship proposals and contracts, and conduct negotiations
– Maintain relationships with corporate and media sponsors and oversee contract deliverable execution, event invitations, and annual contract renewal conversations
– Work with the Communications team to organize and execute certain sponsor deliverables, including social posts, logo placements, eblast mentions, etc.
– Represent NewFest at networking events in pursuit of sponsor or partner cultivation
– Work with Executive Director to design and execute fundraising campaigns and events
– Identify and cultivate donor prospects from existing audience base
– Maintain relationships with major donors through white-glove customer service, exclusive event invitations and personal rapport
– Work with Grants Writer to apply for and manage tasks related to annual and one-time grants, including writing narratives, preparing budgets and meeting crucial deadlines
Research funding opportunities throughout the year
– Strategic thinker who is highly organized and focused
– Strong writing to effectively communicate NewFest’s mission to donors/sponsors and in grant applications
– Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with other members of the NewFest team
– Public speaking
– Strong negotiating instincts
– Strong professional and interpersonal communication skills
– Social skills, enthusiasm for working with people
– Ambitious and approachable, able to send cold emails pursuing sponsors with confidence
– Deep belief in the importance of NewFest’s mission to educate and empower LGBTQ+ and ally audiences through queer film
The successful candidate will be creative, curious, flexible, and persistent. The candidate will be a person of the highest integrity and ethical standards. The candidate will be able to accept a work schedule that will, at times, include events on evenings and weekends.
Compensation, including benefits, is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
NewFest is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all facets of the organization and welcomes recommendations, nominations, and applications from all qualified candidates.
Please prepare a cover letter that describes your specific interest in NewFest and outlines your qualifications for the position and submit with a resume and contact information for three professional references. All applications will be treated as confidential and references will not be contacted without the candidate’s knowledge and agreement.