Work With Us
JOBS & INTERNSHIPS
Current Job Openings:
- Communications Intern
NewFest is currently seeking a Communications Intern to help expand the reach of New York's LGBTQ Film Festival and our year-round programs. Organization. Interns will help create and implement a short- and long-term social media strategy relating to year-round growth as well as the 2019 New York LGBTQ Film Festival, October 23 - 29.
This is a 10-hour-a-week, unpaid internship; however, interns will receive 2019 Festival Passes in exchange for their work, and NewFest is open to arranging academic credit in addition. They will also receive access to NewFest's year-round events, which include pre-release movie screenings. Interns will join a small and vibrant team that offers the potential to grow with the non-profit organization and make a positive impact within the LGBTQ community. The work can be done preferably in NewFest’s Chelsea location, with some remote work possible.
The ideal candidate has a strong editorial background, and is a digital native with an almost instinctive understanding of digital products and social media. They are passionate about LGBTQ narratives and documentaries, as well as LGBTQ issues, news, politics, and pop culture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Social Media Manager to create social content, plan social media posts and draft all copy through an editorial calendar.
- Help drive engagement with NewFest’s audience and growth to new audiences
- Involved in day-to-day management of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, including content creation, copywriting, social planning and community management
- Draft social content across social platforms
- Update website events
- Coordinate email blasts
- Organize and schedule social content with a focus on bold and engaging copy
- Identify can't-miss social media engagement opportunities for the brand, including local/national community awareness days, film and media-related news, etc.
- Create content that is emotive and exciting, while scaling to a global audience
- Develop, pitch and execute new ideas for original social content
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Work at a fast pace without compromising attention to detail
- Must be creative!
- A sound knowledge of streaming media apps, the web, social media, and native digital analytics tools (Instagram, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics)
- Experience with WordPress and MailChimp highly suggested; Adobe Creative Suite and photography experience a plus
- Proficiency in Google Docs and Sheets, as well as the ability to learn new and related technologies
- The ability to research, retrieve, and organize information from the internet
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form
- Strong copywriting and editing skills
- Some knowledge of Facebook Paid advertising preferred
- A self-starter with demonstrated problem solving capability
- Professional, proactive, organized, and always prepared
- Knowledge and understanding of the LGBTQ community, as well as the issues that affect them
- Knowledge of and passion for LGBTQ Film
- Understanding the importance of sharing LGBTQ storytelling to create positive change
- Awareness of, or willingness to learn
- Passion for NewFest's mission
NewFest's Mission: NewFest gives voice and visibility to the full spectrum of the LGBTQ experience by championing films and supporting storytellers who inspire dialogue, shift cultural bias, and empower our diverse community. NewFest began in 1988 as a response to the AIDS crisis, when images of the gay community were hard to find and often imbued with shame. Over 30 years and through an evolving cultural landscape, we have grown into the largest convener of LGBTQ audiences in New York City. Acceptance has come a long way, but we still have a long way to go.
To apply, please email your resume and a brief cover letter with the subject line “Communications Intern” to Sara Ravid, Social Media Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.