Work With Us
JOBS & INTERNSHIPS
Current Job Openings:
- DEVELOPMENT INTERN
NewFest is currently seeking a Development Intern to help expand the reach of New York’s LGBT Film and Media Arts Organization. The position will help manage sponsor relations and streamline developmental priorities during the period leading up to and during the annual New York LGBT Film Festival, October 24-30, 2018.
This is a 10-hour-a-week, unpaid internship; however, the intern will receive a 2018 Festival Pass in exchange for their work, and Newfest is open to arranging academic credit in addition. The intern will join a small and vibrant team that offers the potential to grow with the non-profit organization and make a positive impact within the LGBTQ community. The work can be done preferably in NewFest’s Chelsea location, remotely, or a combination of both.
The ideal candidate has strong interpersonal skills, a desire to learn about nonprofit sustainability, and an instinct for networking and creating partnerships. They are passionate about LGBTQ narratives and documentaries, LGBTQ issues and visibility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work hand-in-hand with the Development & Events Coordinator, Programming & Operations Manager, and occasionally the Executive Director to assist in carrying out sponsor agreements, organize deliverables and deadlines, and stay aware of timely priorities.
- Help maintain engagement with existing sponsors while driving growth with new sponsors and their communities
- Complete occasional operational and administrative tasks
- Identify potential sponsorship opportunities
- Work at a fast pace without compromising attention to detail
- Remain attentive to NewFest’s mission/brand and be a dedicated NewFest spokesperson
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficiency in the Google suite (Docs, Sheets), Excel, and email etiquette a must
- The ability to research, retrieve, and organize information quickly and easily
- Enthusiasm and fast learning skills
- Experience in a formal working environment is appreciated
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- A self-starter with demonstrated problem solving capability
- Detail-oriented and able to work in fast-paced environment.
- Professional, proactive, organized, and always prepared
- Knowledge and understanding of the LGBTQ community, as well as the issues that affect them
- Knowledge of and passion for LGBTQ Film
- Understanding the importance of sharing LGBTQ storytelling to create positive change
- Willingness to learn
- Passion for NewFest’s mission
NewFest’s Mission: NewFest gives voice and visibility to the full spectrum of the LGBTQ experience by championing films and supporting storytellers who inspire dialogue, shift cultural bias, and empower our diverse community. NewFest began in 1988 as a response to the AIDS crisis, when images of the queer community were hard to find and often imbued with shame. Over 30 years and through an evolving cultural landscape, we have grown into the largest convener of LGBTQ audiences in New York City. Acceptance has come a long way since 1988, but we still have a long way to go.
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter with the subject line “Development Intern at NewFest” to Radhika Rajkumar (firstname.lastname@example.org).